The Center Country Club was established in 1955. The original officers include:
Frank E. Parker – President
Tolbert Foster – Vice President
Mann Pinkston, Secretary / Treasurer
The founding board of directors were,W.R. Boyd, Tolbert Foster, Poncho Goddard, Mann Pinkston, Edmond Herbert, Jack Motley, Howard Motley, C.P. Sanders and Maxie Thomas, Jr.
These individuals were instrumental in the course design as you see it today. Under the shade of trees near the current clubhouse, and with the help of a professional golfer, the collaborations for the course began. The foundations for most of the greens are built with bricks from the Old Panola County Courthouse. In addition to the originating board members, volunteers provided the work and equipment in the construction of the course and clubhouse.
The golf course officially opened on July 4, 1956 with a Member’s Tournament. In 1958, an Invitational Tournament was established for the professional and amateurs golfers as well as allowing the collegiate golfer to play. This tournament has evolved into the current day East Texas Open.
In 1988 the original clubhouse burned and was replaced with the current day facility.
We can thank the founding officers, board members and regular members for their insight into providing the community with a superb place to play golf and dine.